Thursday, March 24, 2011

Notes From Bill Perkins Workshop

Our workshop group on the final day. I am next to Bill (center back with my arm against the wall)

If you have been reading this blog lately, you have noticed a few entries regarding the Bill Perkins Color workshop that I attended a few weeks back So much was covered that it is impossible to give a full recap here without multiple posts. I will continue to break down the most interesting concepts from the workshop in future posts, but today, I wanted to run down a few tips from Bill that I scribbled down in my sketchbook.

ALWAYS squint to see value, but NEVER squint to see color

The value [of a color] cannot be quantified on a color wheel rather it is based on perception.

Large masses reflect more light than small masses, therefore they appear lighter than small masses, because they indeed are. Consequently, small masses (such as the nose on a face)are darker.

Highlights are the color of the light source

Light areas are the local color plus the color of the light source

When lit, objects of mid value create potential for greater range of contrast than objects of either light or dark value. Mid value has the highest value range.

Some of these concepts I had heard before, and they all rang true, but having them all put together in the context of a workshop was a really valuable experience for me. I hope these tips will help you as well.

 I apologize for not posting as frequently of late, I am in the middle of a really big project which I can't spill about. Someday after it becomes public, I'll share. Thanks for being patient. I will post as much as I can in the interim.

1 comment:

The Art of Kim Kincaid said...

As someone who is struggling to learn the application of oil paint, I have followed these posts closely. Thank for taking the time to share. These last tidbits of wisdom are immensely helpful.
Good luck with your big project and again, thanks for the posts.