Monday, May 23, 2011

Quail Mama


A couple of weeks ago we discovered a by-product of last fall's neglectful yard clean up.  Tucked it into a corner behind the empty propane tank I have been meaning to swap out since barbecue season ended, I left a half used bag of mulch. 



Well, a resourceful mother quail has taken up residence in the leaves piled behind the bag and laid a baker's dozen of speckled eggs. I had noticed some comings and goings the last couple of weeks, but thought nothing of it since we always have quail in the yard. On closer inspection, I realized she was nesting back there and her dutiful hubby chirps at me from the nearby pine trees if I get too close. I am not sure how much time is left in the incubation period, but I'll try to get pictures of the little fuzzy chicks when they make their way into the world.

Bird watching previously on Life Needs Art

2 comments:

Melissa Saylor said...

Love the photos. We use to have quail on the little farm I grew up on in Oregon. This just made my day. Thanks for sharing.

LuTi said...

Nice story, I have some bumble-bee colony in empty bird nesting house this year! Last year tomtit this year bumble-bee! (some pictures on my blog)