Saturday, July 30, 2011

The Yankee Spirit - Art Exhibit

West Rock, New Haven - Frederic Edwin Church (1826-1900)

Last week I checked out "The Yankee Spirit" art exhibit at BYU's Museum of Art. This show features artworks by many  of the most highly regarded American artists of the last two centuries including Winslow Homer, Rockwell Kent, Georgia O'Keefe, John Singer Sargent, Frederic Edwin Church, Thomas Moran, Norman Rockwell and Maxfield Parrish. The works are all on loan from the New Britain Museum of American Art in New Britain, Connecticut.

Maxfield Parrish- Dusk, oil on panel

I had the pleasure of seeing many of these works a couple of years ago when I was getting my MFA degree in nearby Hartford, Connecticut, so it was especially fun to revisit them. I have to admit that one of my all time favorites in the show is Maxfield Parrish's "Dusk". I marvel at his expert handling of glazes to create such a feeling of depth and luminosity. If you go, take a moment to soak in this small but stunning work.

More exhibit info, dates, times,  pictures and a great review at:
 Art Wife Needs a Life- check it out!

No comments: