Friday, April 13, 2012

Puzzled


Digging through the archives a few weeks back, I found this cover I did for a murder mystery set in the southwest. It was titled Death of the River Master by Allana Martin and was published by St. Martin's Press. The story conflict revolved around water rights between neighboring towns on either side of the U.S-Mexican border. Murder and conspiracy ensue. As I recall, I quite enjoyed the story. I went for a metaphorical solution involving the desert mud and a couple of bullets forming a skull. I especially like how the dry riverbed mud puzzled all together. It made the textures and patterns a lot of fun to paint. I still really like this one. 

5 comments:

Jack Hunter said...

Very cool, Greg. Such a clever and elegant visual to go with the story you described. Did this solution come to you right away ...?

Unknown said...

Jack, the solution didn't come right off. I remember wanting to do something with the river and the dry mud, but the idea of turning it into a skull came after trying to figure out how to add murder and mystery into the mix. Sometimes it takes a lot of brainstorming to come up with the right idea.

k.h.whitaker said...

cool, I like the idea of this

Brad Teare said...

And it matches your blog masthead.

Creations By Mit said...

Very clever solution for the cover, and well executed (no pun intended!)