Sunday, March 16, 2014

Third Wheel

Third Wheel- 9" x 12"; Oil on board by Greg Newbold
Another small oil that I will be taking up to Meyer Gallery in Park City, Utah this week. Whenever I am out searching for subjects, I take tons of photos and never quite know what I have until I get back in studio. This is one of those cases where I didn't think there was a painting in there until I started looking at the photos. I decided that if I combined elements from several photos I could create an arrangement that I liked. It's a fun challenge to come up with a painting from seemingly nothing. It goes back to my assessment that picture making subjects are everywhere depending on your point of view. Almost anything can make a good painting if you apply principles of strong design, storytelling, color and value arrangement. The title refers to the horse on the left side who is about to awkwardly insert itself into the nice quiet lunch of the pair of horses.

See all my paintings available at Meyer Gallery

No comments: