Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Wait Until Dark Poster

Wait Until Dark- by Greg Newbold 13" x 18"- Digital
I have been lucky enough to do a number of theater posters recently. The latest is for the stage version of Wait Until Dark by Frederick Knott which was adapted into the classic 1967 film starring Audrey Hepburn as the blind lead character terrorized in her own apartment by a group of thugs looking for a drug stuffed doll. Having only seen the film, I was not aware that it was a play first, but I revisited the film to get a fresh feel for what the play is all about. After seeing it again, I knew I wanted to focus on the lead character of Susy in a close up with dramatic lighting. The match plays a key part in the action when Susy douses the killer with gasoline and then threatens to light him on fire.


I set up a photo shoot with my wonderful model Betsy and photographed a couple of different options. I wanted to invoke the feel of old film noir movie posters in the color palette and also by adding the distressed  edges and scratches. I created and scanned my own hand made distressed folds to make it look like the poster was worn along the folds as well.


I also took the opportunity to handle the title design. I found a very retro feeling font that was appropriate for the overall feel of the poster. I also distressed the type layer to match the rest of the image. I'm thrilled with how it turned out and the client, Footlight Players Theater in Charleston, South Carolina, was as well.

4 comments:

Brad Teare said...

I love this, Greg. Well done!

Amy said...

Love the feel of this poster! Great job!

Stefanie Eskander said...

Perfection! You did a superb job, and got exactly the results you were aiming for- retro and noir-ish. I love it!

Unknown said...

Thanks guys. I hope I get to do more in this vein. Fun stuff.